I was receiving queries about mountain bikes for weight loss. For instance, how much should I cycle a day to lose weight, will biking help me, or how does cycling help one to lose weight, etc.? So, today I decided to cover all your queries regarding cycles, staying fit, and weight loss.
Cycling is an excellent sport for staying healthy, having a fit body, and opting for a wholesome lifestyle. And you can use it for weight loss too.
Well, think about it, at the gyms, you find plenty of exercise machines with pedals (although not wheels) resembling bikes, cycles, and scramblers.
The only difference these exercise machines and bicycles have are the wheels; the rest of the things are the same, pedals, saddle, handle, etc.
So how you should bike to lose weight, how much you can lose through this, and what things can accelerate the process, this journal will help you configure everything.
It is a like a questioner, answering all your queries:
1. How Much Should I Cycle A Day To Lose Weight?
The more you weigh, the more you can lose by biking. It means an obese person loses more weight faster than someone with low weight.
According to weight loss stats by biking, an average person with no medical history should bike for around 35 to 40 minutes to lose weight.
Also, weight loss by cycling depends more on the distance covered than the time spent on a bike. Also, if the ride is intense and full of ups and downs, the weight loss pace can be even more incredible.
For example, a person loses more weight on a mountain bike than on a road bike because it takes more effort and energy to ride bikes on jaggy trails than on smooth surfaces.
Here is a detailed guide on calories burnt and weight loss by mountain biking. I would suggest you read this to understand weight loss by biking thoroughly.
2. Is Biking Good For Weight Loss?
Yes. Biking is excellent for weight loss. However, different bike types target your body in unique ways. This is the story of strength and resistance.
Greater will be the resistance, the more strength you will put in, and the faster weight you will be able to lose.
It is an excellent cardio workout, a physical activity to increase the heart rate to the desired level, increase the body’s use of oxygen, and bring the work-outer into an active zone.
Likewise, bike riding boosts your overall health, especially your heart and lungs, and improves your blood flow. The same activity also helps gain muscles.
With regular bike riding, you can burn calories, reduce fat, stay fit, and have the desired boy. How much should I cycle a day to lose weight? This depends on your body structure and the type of biking you choose.
The following lines will explain this in a better way and give you a good idea of what should your biking regimen be to lose weight.
3. How Much Weight Can You Lose Riding A Bike?
The more you weigh, the more you can lose on a mountain bike.
To answer this, I would first ask, what biking are you talking about as we have plenty of types for this sport. There is road biking, mountain biking, heavy biking, etc.
As specific exercises are suggested to lose fat from different body areas, the differing biking types also address body fat issues in non-identical ways.
Different bike rides influence your body differently because they are all done on distinct terrains and at diverse strength levels. Therefore, each two-wheeler targets a particular muscle group.
4. How to Lose Weight by Biking?
Here are some steps you can follow to lose weight by biking.
- Biking is just like other exercises, so you will first have to set goals. Ensure the goals are realistic. For instance, aim to lose 1 kg weight in a week.
- Secondly, you will set a pace. In general, your speed should be that leaves you out of breath. I personally use this heart rate monitor to select the right pace for me.
- Ride at different strengths, and one among them should have the highest intensity. This will help your body become a calorie-burn zone and improve cardio health.
- Do track your progress daily. No, I am not asking you to stand on a weight machine after every session but check your progress.
- Before biking, have a warmup session, and at the end, have a relaxing session – they both are as mandatory as biking itself.
- How much should I cycle a day to lose weight? Until you are breathless. With time, you will see your strength and biking time increase.
- Your diet is also essential. Take proper meals and avoid processed junk items. Consume lean protein and plenty of fruit and vegetables.
- Proper and plenty of sleep is necessary. Take a good rest and avoid using your mobile on the bed.
- Try to ride on an empty stomach before breakfast.
- Overeating and undereating are not recommended.
- Enjoy your rides. If you feel it is hard, use bikes for daily commuting, like while going to work or for groceries. By doing so, you won’t feel like a hectic workout.
5. How Many Miles on Bike to Lose Weight?
The distance covered matters more than the time spent on a bike. It means the weight loss speed on a stationary bike will be far less than the weight loss on a real bike outside the road.
I have seen plenty of people in real-life who shed tons in days by biking for weight loss.
If you are intrigued to do so with tested and confirmed ideal tips, you can lose 600 to 800 calories in one hour. At 5 miles per day, you can lose around 350 calories.
However, you will have to check what sorts of roads you expedite—your speed matters. You will have to choose a decent pace in this regard. Here is a table telling you more about How much should I cycle a day to lose weight:
|Cycling Speed||Time||Weight loss|
|12 – 13.9 mph||1 hour / 60 min||300 Calories|
|14 – 15.9 mph||40 mins||300 calories|
|16-19 mph||30 minutes||300 calories|
If the roads are rough, the weight loss rate can be even more. The more rough roads you take, your body needs more strength to drive.
By this, more energy is put into biking. With this energy loss, calories burn more, and a person becomes able to lose weight faster.
Moreover, if you are riding in the mountains, you don’t have to increase your speed to lose faster. The roads are already serrated, resisting your pace, and you are putting more energy into moving forward.
In short, you can say that a person can lose more weight on a mountain bike in less time than they can on a road bike while riding smoother roads for more time.
6. Will Biking Help Me Lose Weight?
Biking is the most efficient way to shed pounds, burn calories, and be a slimmer person compared to other outdoor sports or exercises.
You can lose around 600 to 800 calories in just one hour through mountain biking. Biking doesn’t bring injuries like muscle or bone damage in the long run (unless you do not fall or crash).
7. How Does Cycling Help You Lose Weight?
The basic science behind weight loss and biking is that the greater the resistance, the more calories will be burnt.
Therefore, tracks requiring you to pedal with more force will help you lose more calories compared to smoother roads where you are not pushing your cycle hard.
How much should I cycle a day to lose weight? For this, choose wisely, but do not go on more brutal roads while just kicking off with the bikes for weight loss.
Weight Loss from Cycling Before and After – Real Life Examples
Before ending this debate, I am adding some real pictures of people who lost weight by biking.
I hope you now have a good idea regarding how much should I cycle a day to lose weight.
In a nutshell, you can lose more weight on a mountain bike than on a road bike because it takes you to apply more energy. For more information and free biking guides, you can visit my blog MTBknowledge.com.